Sunday, November 7, 2010

First Food


Here she is getting ready for her first bite of rice cereal, in her brand new bib Brian brought her this weekend. The event was more of an emotional milestone for me than anything else really. All week long I prepared myself silently. Thinking about the last 6 months, the changes, what rice cereal really means and how rice cereal can be correlated to many other bench marks in life. Bench marks like getting your first car, leaving for college and finding a life partner; bench marks that symbolize a change or a different level of independence. Many of you are laughing now.....oh if rice cereal has been this tough then heaven help them when she really does become more independent. But please induldge me for a second with this. She has survived for 6 months in the flesh and 9 months in the womb on just me. She has brought the most perfect baby smell to our house. Her diapers and spit-up, though a little gross at times, all purely natural phases of breast milk. Now all of the sudden enter rice cereal and I have a whole new baby. I thought about what this next month will bring for her; exciting new flavors such as avocados, blue berries, and peaches and for me the fun of making baby food for my little girl and seeing the look in her eyes as she mouths something new for the first time. So after a week of deep thought of what rice cereal really means it came down to this moment in time. This moment when she smiled at Colin and I out of the corner of her eye and tried her first bite of cereal. I don't know what I was expecting, balloons to fall from the ceiling maybe or her to cry out and say, 'mom I still love you and need you', but instead we got a baby who acted quite ambivalent with her teaspoon of food in total that took 10 minutes to actually get in her mouth. After it was over I thought to myself, well that wasn't so bad, I don't know what I fretted about for so long....... until I woke the next day. When she woke up Sunday morning she no longer smelled of my sweet little girl, she smelled of rice cereal and cried/screamed/fussed from the indigestion the 3 servings of rice cereal in her system. I was right, this was a change......maybe not as large as going away to college but an emotional milestone non-the-less.


Lillian finally found her toes and she tries her hardest to get them in her mouth every time we change her.

Thanks Alex for sharing this great toy. Lillian LOVES it already and has already figured out how to bounce in it and spin around in her seat in it.

Brian came to visit this weekend and spoiled Lily with a great blanket, burp towels, a bib and a sea horse. It was pretty cute watching Lily warm-up to him, about an hour in to his visit she was all smiles every time she saw him.

3 comments:

  1. I totally remember that feeling! For us it was a very slow progression from playing with food to actually eating food. Dolly didn't really ingest more than a bite per meal until at least 8 months, and didn't slow her nursing at all. She sure looks proud of herself though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! (just bought some fabric that matches lillian's new bib...good taste brian! not that I'm surprised). thanks for the pix and the update. mmm rice cereal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh baby Lil, you might just bounce off some of that chub, you'd better watch out!
    - your friend, Alex

    ReplyDelete